The National Retail Federation (NRF) recently sent the below industry update to members of the NRF Board of Directors and a number of retail leaders.
The election is over. It has certainly been a historic year with the COVID-19 pandemic, the election and social unrest. Now that the election has been decided, it is time to get back to work enacting pro-growth policies and rebuilding our economy. We should begin with additional fiscal stimulus targeted at working American families, small businesses and those sectors of the economy that have been hardest hit.
In addition, we need to keep our economy open and functioning to create jobs and allow the economy to rebound faster and stronger than ever before.
Here are some examples of the work NRF has been leading to keep American retailers at work and serving communities:
Fighting for retail to remain open
- NRF Operation Open Doors: This digital initiative provides guidelines and resources to help retailers safely navigate operating in the “new normal” with a focus on health and safety, people and personnel, logistics and supply chain, and litigation and liability. Since March, NRF has hosted 250+ calls and webinars to keep retailers up to date as health guidelines, regulations and the economic landscape have changed.
- Navigating local restrictions: NRF created the first state-by-state map of coronavirus-related laws and regulations published by any trade association. This is the only retail-specific map to help retailers monitor local laws and guidance governing store operations. It is regularly updated as new information becomes available. In September, NRF filed a public records request in California to give retailers greater transparency into the state’s decision-making process with regard to operational restrictions and reopening retail stores and malls. We are considering further legal steps in California and elsewhere to give greater transparency into state decisions and keep retail safely open.
- New training credentials: The NRF Foundation created two new RISE Up credentials to arm retail employees with the knowledge and tools they need to operate safely — and with confidence — during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- “New Holiday Traditions” campaign: This nationwide consumer awareness campaign encourages consumers to “shop safe and shop early” to ensure a safe and successful holiday season. Campaign advertising is appearing through mid-November across digital and social media, music streaming services and Connected TV.
- NRF Retail Leadership Series: Our new virtual program features conversations with CEOs from the most iconic brands about leading through times of crisis, the state of retail and the way forward for the retail industry. Since launching in May, we have hosted 13 candid discussions with CEOs from brands including Lowe’s, Starbucks and Walmart U.S.
Connecting retailers to policymakers at all levels
- NRF Policymakers Series: This virtual, invitation-only program for retail industry executives features conversations with key policymakers leading efforts to address the COVID-19 pandemic and the economic recovery. Since the program’s July launch, we have hosted five Policymakers Series events featuring bipartisan political leaders.
- NRF Virtual Store Tours: This program connects members of Congress with retailers to hear directly how retail powers the economy and creates jobs in the states and districts they represent. Since this summer, NRF has hosted 11 members of the U.S. House of Representatives and two U.S. Senators.
- NRF Retail Advocates Town Halls: We reimagined NRF’s annual Retail Advocates Summit this year, turning the in-person fly-in into a series of virtual mini-conferences that still enabled retailers and lawmakers to meet “face to face.” We hosted 200 local retailers who connected with 24 members of Congress across five Town Halls nationwide.
In 2021, we look forward to working with the Biden Administration and new Congress to mitigate the COVID-19 pandemic and propel the country’s economic recovery. Until then, we will be working every day to keep our economy and the retail industry open. NRF’s programs will continue to prioritize the health and safety of retail employees, customers and communities, and to expand job creation, economic development and career opportunities for millions of Americans.
From our team to yours, stay safe and be well.