Sharp Home Electronics Company of America (SHCA) has added to its portfolio of smart Wi-Fi-enabled kitchen appliances with the unveiling of the Model SMD2499FS built-in Smart Convection Microwave Drawer Oven at the 2021 Virtual Kitchen & Bath Industry Show (KBIS).
Sharp says that this first-in-its-class Microwave Drawer Oven combines sensor microwave cooking with dual convection fans, unlocking cooking capabilities previously inaccessible in microwave oven appliances, such as turntable-free baking, roasting, grilling and air frying.
The 24-inch unit’s smart features include access to recipes, tips, and remote control through the Sharp Kitchen smart device app, and compatibility with Amazon Echo devices for voice-enabled commands.
“Forward-thinking innovation has always been a top priority for Sharp, especially when we look to propel our brand promise of Simply Better Living to help consumers live healthier lifestyles,” said Jim Sanduski, president, SHCA, in the announcement statement, characterizing the product as “our next step in advancing the modern kitchen…”
“Beyond the glamour and luxury of this new appliance, our focus at Sharp is always to deliver products that make life easier in the kitchen, and the SMD2499FS comes with all the bells and whistles to achieve that,” commented Senior VP of Sales and Marketing for SEMCA Peter Weedfald in the statement.
The Sharp SMD2499FS features:
• Three Speed Cook modes, which mix convection with microwave cooking for faster, tastier meals.
• The Air Fry mode to makes food tender on the inside and crispy on the outside.
• A Convection Grill mode that enables the cooking of beef, pork, chicken, fish, burgers and hot dogs.
• A Convection Bake mode made for bread, muffins, cakes and pizza, with dual convection fans that circulate heated air.
• A Convection Roast mode made for roast dishes such as whole chicken, beef and pork roasts.
• A Toast mode that enables toasting of up to six slices of bread and bagels in the Convection Microwave.
• A Warm mode that turns the oven into a warming drawer to keep family dishes such as casseroles, vegetables and quiches warm.
• A dishwasher-safe, porcelain cooking dish with two racks that can be used individually or simultaneously for up to two 9″ x 13″ baking dishes.
• Concealed, drop-down touch-glass controls that are easy to see and that operate at a convenient 45-degree angle.
• Sharp’s “Easy Wave Open” function for touchless accessibility and opening of the microwave drawer.
• Built-in airflow control that safely redirects hot-air ventilation away from surfaces, including walls and cabinets, allowing for flush mounting.
• Simplified installation, as it plugs into a standard 120V/15-amp household outlet.
• An optional two-drawer under-the-counter pedestal accessory (SKCD24U0GS), that slides in for easy installation.
This introduction follows the recently released Sharp Smart Countertop Microwave Oven — the first-ever Alexa-enabled microwave from Sharp. The SMD2499FS will be available for $2,229.99 at select retail locations, says Sharp.
Nancy is a contributing editor for Dealerscope.